Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My (Mom's) Thoughts / Feelings Leading Up to the surgery (June 2015)

I get asked a lot if I am worried about how things are going to go and a few other questions like that. I thought I would share some of my thoughts and feelings leading up to the surgery. It is only a week and 1 day away now.
Yes, I worry. I worry just a little about the actual surgery, just because anytime anyone goes into surgery anything can happen. These are the things I try to do when I start to think about it: (a) I think about the fact she would have had to have more surgeries had we gone the lengthening route and that helps me to feel better, and (b) I just try to not think about it. It's like having a baby.. You know that the delivery day will come, but it's going to come no matter what, so why worry about it?! That only makes the situation more stressful and doesn't actually accomplish anything.



Am I nervous about what it's going to be like after? Yes. I have worries for Sydney's friends' reactions. I worry about bullying in school. I worry that some things in life will be harder for her than a person with two feet. I worry about how she will handle the initial pain after the surgery. I worry about her emotional health as she grows-especially in teen years. I worry about whether or not I will be able to teach her the things in this life that she will need to get through it all........etc

That being said, the more I meet little amputees and families of amputees, the more I realize just how much the Lord knows us. All these little amputees are special in their own way and are able to handle all the curve-balls life throws at them. I believe that God hand-picked this trial for our Sydney and for Joel and I because He knew that she could handle it and that it would only help her to become exactly who she is meant to be. She is one "tough cookie" as she says all the time.


A few weeks ago we went on a hike as a family that was a semi-challenging hike for a little almost 4 year old. She fell and tripped, she got tired and had to take a few breaks, but she kept getting back up and saying "I can do hard things!" This girl was built strong. I couldn't help but be comforted by her attitude as I watched her dust herself off over and over again. I know that she has challenges ahead in her life, but I also know that she will be able to overcome them through the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He knows her perfectly and has suffered for her pains and knows exactly what she is and will go through in this life.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! "I can do hard things" needs to be our motto as mothers of children who have hard things to do! You are such a great example to me as a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siena es perfectamente maravillosa , les amamos ya estamos orando por la pequeña valiente

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking about you all! Your posts are so empowering! I've learned so much from reading them. Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. You have one tough beautiful little girl! And amazing parents to go with it :) you will continually be in our thoughts and prayers. -Ashley Pearson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see this little girl in 10 . . . and 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your really sweet words! We really appreciate all the support and love we have been getting from everyone!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete